Thursday, February 17, 2011

Neil Gaiman on piracy



I only recently became aware of Neil Gaiman, but his work is pretty impressive. I've almost finished reading American Gods - it's quite good. Anyway, when I came across this video (on Gizmodo, one of the best blogs out there, imo, and the original source, and a major source for material you'll find here), it immediately caught my eye.

Gaiman offers an interesting take on piracy, essentially making for an argument for how it's managed to actually help him sell more books. That's great, and it's good to see that the shift towards common piracy might be a good thing (at least in some cases).

Not long ago I would have filed this as just another victory for piracy as an institution in general, but now it has me thinking a bit more about thing than it would have in the past. I've been reconsidering my stance on piracy lately, as I try to fit it into my generalized moral framework. It hasn't led into any changes in my actual online behavior yet, but it's on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment